This year marks the 45th anniversary of Earth Day, a day dedicated to bringing awareness to the importance of protecting our environment. At GOJO, our commitment to sustainability has roots in our legacy.
We celebrate Earth Day not just on April 22nd, but every day. Sustainability is a never-ending journey for us here at GOJO, and in honor of this year’s Earth Day, I would like to share with you some of the milestones we have achieved along this journey. These accomplishments have brought with them opportunities for us to learn, share and collaborate with other organizations and individuals who share a similar commitment to sustainability.
- 1946 – Introduced a safer, gentler alternative to the harsh and carcinogenic chemicals used by factory workers to clean their hands.
- 1952 – The Lippmans, who founded GOJO, developed and patented the world’s first portion-controlled dispenser that was in part made from recycled components to reduce product waste.
- 2006 – First to introduce green certified soap, with certification from EcoLogo™ and Green Seal.
- 2009 – Held our first GOJO Sustainability Summit, where we gathered hundreds of internal and external customers to share our sustainability goals.
- 2010 – Launched PURELL® Green Certified Instant Hand Sanitizer, the world’s first green certified hand sanitizer.
- 2010 – Declared sustainability goals for reductions in water usage, solid waste and greenhouse gases by 2015.
- 2012 – Introduced the LTX™, a touch-free dispenser designed with life cycle principles and smart electronics that extend the dispenser’s battery life.
- 2013 – Established our first generation Sustainable Chemistry and Packaging Policies to focus on guiding the selection of ingredients and materials to develop effective solutions with an even higher human and environmental safety profile.
- 2013 - Exceeded our operational sustainability goals, which were established in 2010, two years early.
- 2013 – Received the Summit of Sustainability Award for our commitment to social, environmental and economic sustainability efforts.
- 2014 – Launched ECOPREFERRED™ Pumice Hand Cleaner, our first green certified product for the heavy duty hand cleaner industry.
- 2015 – Named one of the first members of the American Cleaning Institute’s Charter for Sustainable Cleaning.
- 2015 – Announced our complete non-antimicrobial soap portfolio now carries EcoLogo™ Certification.
As we look ahead, we will continue to hit milestones that deliver on all three domains of sustainability – social, environmental and economic. I look forward to sharing with you the progress we make on this journey and invite you to share your sustainability success with us.