As a member of the World Health Organization (WHO) Private Organizations for Patient Safety group, GOJO Industries-Europe is a strong supporter of the WHO’s annual ‘Save Lives: Clean Your Hands’ campaign and is encouraging everybody in the healthcare industry to get involved.
The worldwide advocacy day takes place on 5th May 2019. This year, the campaign highlights the importance that hand hygiene plays in the global movement to achieve universal health coverage (UHC), i.e. securing better health and well-being for all people at all ages. Infection Prevention and Control, including hand hygiene, is critical to accomplish UHC, being a practical and evidence-based approach, with demonstrated impact on quality of care and patient safety across all levels of the health system.
The annual campaign and advocacy day targets a cross-section of influencers in the global healthcare sector. This year’s calls to action are:
- Health workers: “Champion clean care – it’s in your hands."
- IPC leaders: “Monitor infection prevention and control standards – take action and improve practices.”
- Health facility leaders: "Is your facility up to WHO infection control and hand hygiene standards? Take part in the WHO survey 2019 and take action!”
- Ministries of health: "Does your country meet infection prevention and control standards? Monitor and act to achieve quality universal health coverage."
- Patient advocacy groups: "Ask for clean care – it’s your right."
Free advocacy toolkits and materials to support the WHO Save Lives: Clean Your Hands campaign are available on the WHO website: https://www.who.int/infection-prevention/campaigns/clean-hands/5may2019/en/
WHO invites everyone to use the hashtags #HandHygiene, #InfectionPrevention #HealthForAll on social media to ensure Save Lives: Clean Your Hands posts are picked up by the campaign.